The Mountain School was founded in 1990 by a group of parents who wanted to offer Marin families an established and yet new approach to early childhood education. Our program offers an environment that recognizes and nurtures the importance of childhood. It is through imitation, use of the imagination, free play, and engaging with nature that a young child grows in a healthy way. Drawing inspiration from the principles of Waldorf Education, preventative discipline, and Kim John Payne’s Simplicity Parenting, we have created a program that is uniquely our own and accessible to all. To learn more about our school’s approach to education, we encourage you to read this interview with our Director, Lori Grey.
- A place of simplicity and beauty — because young children are so greatly influenced by the mood of their environment. Our sunlit classrooms are designed with soft colors, and simple toys made of natural materials.
- An environment that encourages imaginary play that comes from within, laying the foundation for a child’s social-emotional, sensory, and academic success.
- A nourishing fare of story and song, work and play. Singing is woven into the rhythm of the day both in our circle time and in transitions throughout the day.
- Plenty of outdoor play time, rain or shine, and frequent teacher-guided nature walks.
- A program that reflects the seasons through songs, circle games, festivals, and stories.
- Professionally trained and long-term faculty members who care deeply about your child and family.
Learn more about our Preschool Program.